Friday, July 12, 2013

Highlighting the Best!

I created two bulletin boards in the library to highlight the best individual readers, best class readers, and the best books in the library.

On this bulletin board, we are going to highlight those great Reading Counts! books that have not left the library shelves in 10 years.  I ran the list yesterday and there are some really good books on the list.  I think the kids just do not know they are in the library.  So, the plan is to scan color copies of the covers, put the covers on the board, add some diecut sheriff's badges with Lexlie level and points, and add diecut boots with call numbers so kids will know where to locate them. 
I ran a list of the bottom 50 books.  Think I might get 10 - 12 on the board so will have some extras prepared enabling us to switch out the book covers in a month or so.  Then, I will rerun the report and see what new books are on the list to include.


I want to highlight the top readers in each grade level and the top participating homerooms.  Here's my idea -- at the end of each month, I will run Reading Counts! reports to determine the top read (words read) in each grade level.  We will take the student's picture and print them off the color printer.  Plan to add their name and grade level on a label attached to the little fence post next to each photo spot.  Will also do the same thing with the homeroom in each grade level that has read the most words.  To keep the recognition open to everyone each month, I am going to run reports only for the month (no accumulation of words from previous months.)  At the end of the following month, These photos will all come off and be moved to the wall above the bulletin board -- going to circle the library with top readers during the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment